Growth is essential to life. And in growing there are always things we must leave behind in order to make it to the next plateau; in order to achieve our full potential as individuals. Perhaps in some ways, we will find ourselves grieving the loss of the things we must leave behind so much that we miss they glorious feat of looking forward to the things we might soon experience. While we will deny it at the time we are about to step into unfamiliar territory, hindsight is always 20/20. The things we leave behind prepare us for that which we are soon to meet, and in retrospect all that we have met undoubtedly becomes a part of us; intrinsically linked. As I prepare for and look forward to my trip back home this coming week, I am saturated by the desire to reconnect and reacquaint with just a small handful of individuals to whom I am very close. I am overwhelmed by the need to visit all of the places from my early childhood...the parks, the nature shows, the shopping centers, and even the grocery. I feel as though in some ways I will be stepping into an entirely new city that I have never seen before. I find myself forgetting how to navigate to certain locations, and undoubtedly seeking comfort and solace with the likes of mapquest and GoogleMaps. And just the same I feel as though I know every back road and "best kept secret" there is to know; as if I have only been on an extended vacation. I feel as though it will be the coalescence of the best city ever and a new me. "I have changed," comes the forewarning to my close friends. "I'm just different...you will see," I told them. "I'm a little more this, and a little less of that." Sometimes a change of scenery is all it takes. Even still, a part of me can't help but wonder what it will be like. Will seeing old faces be an awkward moment of silence followed by an, "It's so nice to see you." Or will it be an affectionate reception followed by lots of laughs, great food, wonderful conversation, and amazing photo ops? I'm not sure. I know what I hope it will be. Then again, hindsight is always 20/20.

Labels: